(April 27) – A bill by Reps. Dan Pabon and Joann Ginal to protect kids from accidentally ingesting marijuana edibles that are easily confused with candy passed out of the House this morning on a bipartisan 49-15 vote.
“This is a commonsense bill to protect our kids,” said Rep. Pabon, D-Denver. “My three-year-old can’t tell the difference between a gummy bear with THC and one without. When voters passed Amendment 64 in 2012, they didn’t intend to allow edibles that are easily confused as candy by children.”
“Marijuana products are designed for adults over 21 years of age and we are asking that these products don’t mimic products marketed to children,” said Rep. Ginal, D-Fort Collins. “It’s a smart, reasonable approach to protecting Colorado children.”
HB16-1436 requires the Marijuana Enforcement Division in the Department of Revenue to create rules that prohibit edible medical and retail marijuana products shaped like a human, animal or fruit. The bill has the support of Gov. John Hickenlooper, who highlighted his concern with edibles in his State of the State speech this January.
The vote sends the bill to the Senate.