Deputy Communications Director, Colorado House Majority Office
****DEADLINE EXTENDED – November 20******
The majority office in the Colorado House of Representatives is seeking a deputy communications director for the first session of the 72nd General Assembly. This is a time-limited position beginning in middle to late November or early December 2018 and runs through May 2019.
The Deputy Communications Director reports to the Speaker of the House; other members of caucus leadership and the rest of the House Democratic caucus (36 members); the Speaker’s Chief of Staff; and the Communications Director. While the Deputy Communications Director reports directly to the Communications Director and Chief of Staff, the successful Deputy Comms Director must skillfully juggle the competing demands of this diverse group.
We plan to continue to build out our digital communications and video production in the 2019 legislative session, and this role will be instrumental in shaping that growth.
- Write press releases with clear, clean, concise and above all accurate prose under deadline pressure in the high-energy, fast-paced atmosphere of the legislative session
- Write talking points and gather background information
- Develop long-term and short-term digital plans and strategies; create, draft and post content on all social media platforms; create graphics, video and other sharable content.
- Create, edit and distribute video that advances the messages and goals of the Colorado House Democratic caucus
- Help members and the caucus grow their social media platforms
- Contribute to the formulation of press strategy
- Develop relationships and be in frequent communication with reporters, editors and news directors
- Be conversant with caucus members’ bills and policy positions
- Pitch TV, radio and print outlets on Colorado House Democrats’ legislative efforts
- Support the values and policy initiatives of the Colorado House Democrats
- Communicate and coordinate with the policy and outreach shops within the House majority office
- Write media advisories for members’ outreach events and press conferences
- Set up and staff press conferences
- Be adept at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and other social media
- Experience with creating graphics preferred
- Be familiar with Associated Press style
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Sufficient fluency in spoken and written Spanish
- Experience working in politics, government, journalism or campaigns
- A degree in communications, journalism or political science from an accredited college or university
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
This is a fun and exciting position for an individual with writing, video and communications skills and a strong work ethic. Though this is a temporary position, a successful tenure as Deputy Comms Director may open the door to a full-time opportunity within the office or other job opportunities in Colorado.
To apply for this position, send a resume and a cover letter explaining why you are a good candidate for the job to COHouseDemocrats@gmail.com. Please put “Deputy Comms Director” in the subject field of your email. Application deadline is Tuesday, November 20, 2018, but applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so please submit promptly.