The Colorado House of Representatives Majority Office seeks well-qualified applicants to join the Policy team in the Colorado House Majority Office for the first session of the 72nd General Assembly. This is a time-limited position; work starts in December 2018 and runs through May-June 2019 (depending on actual start date).
Although day-to-day duties will vary, the primary objective of the Policy Director is to manage the operations of the House Democrats’ policy team and support lawmakers, staff leadership and House Leadership in developing and executing the legislative agenda.
Responsibilities include managing the operations of the Policy team, interfacing with legislators to help them develop and pass their bills, in-depth research of specific legislative issues and existing statutes, organizing stakeholder outreach concerning legislation or related issues, writing and organizing talking points, fact sheets and testimony for committee hearings, and providing administrative support to House Majority staff and lawmakers as needed.
As the position is focused on policy matters coming before the legislature, prior experience with the Colorado General Assembly or similar body is strongly preferred. While the position will concentrate primarily on research and legislative efforts, other duties may arise, including assisting the House Majority’s communications office. As such, competitive candidates must possess excellent written communications skills.
Preferred skills and experience:
• Excellent writing and oral communication skills
• Two or more years in an office focused on legislation, the legislative process, or similar processes
• Working knowledge of Colorado’s state government, including the state constitution, governing statutes, state agencies and budget
• Ability to operate relatively independently while also keeping in close touch with Chief of Staff and legislative leadership
• Strong drive and self-motivation, a willingness to work long hours and under tight deadlines, and the ability to take on tough issues and see them through to a resolution
• Solid judgment and political sense, honesty and discretion
• A passion for progressive politics
• Bachelor’s degree
The position includes health, dental and retirement benefits and paid sick/vacation time. Salary is commensurate with experience.
No later than November 25, please submit a cover letter, resume, two writing samples and references to email@example.com. As part of the application process, you may be asked to provide other relevant information and take a timed exercise. Please note that final applicants will be asked to undergo a criminal history record check.