Bill to Protect Children from Ingesting Potential Toxin is Killed in Committee

February 21, 2012

(Denver) –Rep. Daniel Kagan’s bill to ban the use of BPA in the making of baby products failed today in the Economic and Business Development Committee.

HB12-1174 would have banned the sale of baby bottles and pacifiers made with Bisphenol A in Colorado. Eleven other states have signed a ban similar into law. The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Colorado Public Interest Research Group supported the bill.

Rep. Kagan (D-Englewood) said he was disappointed in the failure of the bill.

“The goal of this bill was to prevent Colorado’s youngest children from ingesting a potentially dangerous toxin,” Rep. Kagan said. “With other states implementing bans, it is important to ensure Colorado does not become a dumping ground for potentially harmful BPA products and to provide some assurance to Colorado parents.”

The bill failed on a 8 to 4 vote.

Leave a Reply