Communications Director, Colorado House Majority Office
The House Majority Office of the Colorado House of Representatives is seeking a Communications Director. The Communications Director serves the Speaker of the House; other members of the House leadership team; and the rest of the House Democratic caucus (41 members in total). A successful Communications Director must skillfully juggle the competing demands of this diverse group.
The Communications Director fulfills a high-volume role with the House Majority. They are responsible for driving the message and elevating the work of Colorado House Democrats among the state and national press corps and communities across Colorado. We’re seeking a confident and skilled self-starter with experience working effectively with the press. This is a full-time position part of the staff leadership team, reporting to the Chief of Staff and Deputy Chief of Staff.
- Drive the development of an overall communications strategy that raises the profile and elevates the work of the House Democratic caucus
- Help develop and support individual House Democratic members’ press exposure through interview prep, messaging coaching, and more
- Work with the Deputy Communications Director to develop and implement a digital communications strategy inclusive of social media engagement; development of graphics, video and other sharable content; and website updates and maintenance
- Serve as the primary point of contact for and develop strong relationships with reporters, editors and news directors
- Pitch TV, radio and print outlets on Colorado House Democrats’ legislative work
- Write press releases with clear, clean, concise and above all accurate prose under deadline pressure in the high-energy, fast-paced atmosphere of the legislative session
- Organize and execute press events such as press avails, press conferences, and rallies
- Lead the development of digital content and manage engagement across numerous social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.); track and evaluate the growth and engagement of social media platforms
- Support the creation, editing and distribution of videos and graphics that advance the messages and goals of the Colorado House Democratic caucus
Writing and messaging
- Write speeches for House leadership for major official legislative events and press events
- Develop and write talking points and background information to prepare principals and members for media interviews and press conferences
- Ensure consistency of message across all communications
- Coordinate drafting and placement of op-eds, letters to the editor and other earned media placements/features
- At least 5 years of experience working for political organizations, campaigns, government or media
- Proven successful record working with and pitching press
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, with an ability to write and produce content on a wide variety of issues and platforms
- Exceptional “people skills” with an ability to work effectively with the press corps, House leadership, all 41 members of the Colorado Democratic caucus, stakeholders, and other staff, both on the House Majority team and in interfacing with staff of other caucuses and organizations
- Unapologetic political news enthusiast with the ability to think critically and strategically; Ability to proactively seize on opportunities to move our message forward; Adept at anticipating obstacles and can play effective defense when needed
- Self-starter who shows strong initiative and sets high standards for individual and team performance
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills; a proven ability to effectively and independently manage projects with many moving parts to produce high-quality results on tight deadlines
- Strong political sense and discretion
- Strong understanding of the Colorado political landscape
- Sufficient fluency in spoken and written Spanish
- At least 1-2 years of experience supervising staff.
Salary will be between 60k and the low-70k range annually depending on qualifications and experience. We provide a competitive benefits package, including health and dental insurance covered mostly by the employer, life insurance covered by the employer, your choice of a Defined Benefit or Defined Contribution PERA retirement plan, 10 paid sick days and 12 paid vacation days (not including state and federal holidays), a generous flex schedule during the legislative interim, and a free parking space.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, send a resume and a cover letter explaining why you are a good candidate for the job to COHouseDemocrats@gmail.com. Please put “Communications Director Application” in the subject field of your email.
Application deadline is Friday, July 26th, but applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so please submit promptly.
Colorado House Majority Office is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, or disability. We are committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive organization and strongly encourage candidates with diverse backgrounds and identities to apply.