House Majority Office
Colorado House of Representatives
Being a legislative aide at the Capitol puts you in the middle of the state’s most exciting political action. In the past two sessions, our 41 House Democrats turned many popular proposals into law: lowering the cost of health care, building a fair economy, addressing climate change, tackling the opioid crisis, reforming our criminal justice system, and helping hard-working Coloradans make ends meet, even during a pandemic. With a front row seat to action on a wide range of issues, a position as a legislative aide often opens the door for other exciting opportunities in politics, government, and public service.
Legislative aides keep the essential day-to-day functions of a legislative office running smoothly. Primary responsibilities include managing the legislator’s calendar, scheduling meetings, responding to constituent emails and phone inquiries, maintaining databases of contacts, drafting and sending newsletters, supporting policy and constituent efforts with social media content, creating fact sheets, conducting research, organizing town halls and other events in the district, and preparing the legislator for bill hearings and meetings with constituents, stakeholders, and lobbyists.
Aides are held to a high level of professional conduct, as they are expected to represent legislators at the Capitol, in their district, and in the broader community.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized with ability to balance and track progress on multiple projects at once under tight deadlines; excellent time management and attention to detail
- Motivated self-starter who produces high quality work without daily supervision
- A high level of confidentiality and discretion
- High degree of self-awareness, humility, and openness to feedback
- Flexible and adaptable work style; ability to stay calm in a high stress environment
- Eagerness to develop leadership; commitment to progressive values and policies
- Copywriting and/or graphic design skills
- Experience with event planning and execution
- Experience and comfort using Google Workspace (Docs, Sheets, Slides)
- Experience and comfort managing social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter)
- Knowledge of Colorado government a plus
$16 per hour. Option to work up to 40 hours/week during session, depending on the legislator and their needs. Benefits include a PERA retirement account membership, daily travel stipend (during the legislative session only), and discounted RTD Flex Passes. Health, life, and dental benefits will be available for one Senior Legislative Aide in each office.
How to Apply:
When applications are open they can be found at www.cohousedems.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis as openings become available, and will be filled with qualified applicants along the way. Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Legislative Aide Application”.
Start dates depend on the needs of each individual caucus member and the time of year. Most legislative aides work full-time (40 hours/week) during the legislative session, which usually begins in early January and ends in early May. Many legislators request that their aides also work full-time in the weeks leading up to the session in December and the weeks immediately following the session in the second half of May. During the legislative interim (mid-May-December) there is sometimes also a need for part-time legislative aides; hours vary by legislator, but are typically around 16 hours/week.
Colorado House Democrats are committed to hiring a diverse staff. We are an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service, or disability. We are committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive organization and strongly encourage candidates with diverse backgrounds and identities to apply.