House Majority Office
Colorado House of Representatives
Being a Legislative Intern at the Capitol puts you in the middle of the state’s most exciting political action. Colorado’s House Democrats have worked to turn many of popular proposals into law, moving forward on measures to lower the cost of health care, invest in education, build a fair economy, address climate change, tackle the opioid crisis, reform our criminal justice system, and help hard-working Coloradans get ahead.
Legislative interns support legislative aides in keeping the essential day-to-day functions of a legislative office running smoothly. Interns are held to a high level of professional conduct, as they are expected to represent legislators at the Capitol, in their district, and in the broader community.
Internships can be specialized or generic. Internships that would like to focus on learning a specialized skill can focus on three main capacities:
- Social Media
- Social Media Interns focus primarily on supporting the creation of social media content and other digital communications such as newsletters and website blog posts. Social media interns work directly with one member of the caucus and their legislative aide, but can get additional support from the Colorado House Majority Office.
- Policy Research
- Policy Research Interns focus primarily on supporting one member of the caucus with their legislative efforts by conducting thorough research, creating fact sheets based on elements of the proposed bill, preparing the legislator for bill hearings, meetings with constituents, stakeholders, and lobbyists, responding to constituent inquiries, etc.
- Operations Interns support the overall function of one member of the caucus by providing additional capacity to their legislative aide with managing calendars, scheduling meetings, responding to constituent emails and phone inquiries, organizing in-person town halls and other events in the district.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Highly, highly organized; excellent time management and attention to detail
- Motivated self-starter who can provide high quality work without close day-to-day supervision
- A high level of confidentiality and discretion
- High degree of self-awareness, humility and openness to feedback
- Flexible and adaptable work style; ability to stay calm in a high stress environment
- Eagerness to develop leadership skills; commitment to progressive values and policies
- Copywriting and/or graphic design skills
- Experience with event planning and execution
- Experience and comfort using Google Suites (Docs, Sheets, Slides)
- Experience and comfort managing social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)
- Knowledge of Colorado government a plus
Interns are often students that are fulfilling class requirements or are looking for work experience to supplement their education. Depending on the legislative member’s needs, internships may be available to students that are enrolled in higher education programs and also high school programs. If you have questions about availability and qualifications for internships please contact email@example.com.
Schedule and Compensation:
Part-time, flexible. 8-40 hours a week, depending on the legislative member’s needs and the intern’s schedule. Interns are unpaid volunteers; however, student internship credit can be arranged with your school. It is the student’s responsibility to contact his or her advisor and obtain academic credit within the institution’s guidelines.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please complete this form which will ask you to upload a resume, interns are not required to upload a cover letter, but may do so if they would like. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis as openings become available, and will be filled with qualified applicants along the way.
Colorado House Democrats are committed to hiring a diverse staff. We are an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, membership in an employee organization, parental status, creed, ancestry, military service, or disability. We are committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive organization and strongly encourage candidates with diverse backgrounds and identities to apply.