2016 Legislative Report
In this very tight budget year, the legislature passed a budget that avoided the major cuts originally proposed after the November forecast.
What this year’s budget accomplished:
- Increased per-pupil average spending for K-12 schools by $112 to $7,425
- Averted a possible $20 million cut to higher education
- Set transfers to the state’s highway fund at $150 million
- Maintained the statutory 6.5 percent budget reserve
- Averted cuts to payment rates for medical providers
2016 Opening Day Speech
Speaker of the House Dickey Lee Hullinghorst
January 13, 2016
Members, guests and fellow Coloradans: Welcome to the second regular session of the House of Representatives in the 70th General Assembly.
Our counterparts in the 10th General Assembly, back in 1895, were the first to meet in this chamber. Contrary to rumors, I was not around to witness that event. But I can say with confidence that our surroundings are as magnificent as when this building was brand new.