Speaker Commends Guv on Response to Shutdown

(Oct. 1) – Speaker Mark Ferrandino applauded Gov. John Hickenlooper’s quick actions to keep Colorado’s flood recovery on track in spite of the federal government shutdown.

At a press conference this morning, Hickenlooper outlined his plan for ensuring that National Guard members working on flood relief efforts would remain on duty despite the federal shutdown.

“Because of the governor’s strong leadership, Congressional Republicans’ reckless behavior will not significantly impact Colorado’s recovery from the flood disaster,” Speaker Ferrandino said. “National Guard members working on relief efforts will be paid by the state during the shutdown and the recovery will continue at full speed. I’m proud that Colorado continues to be resilient even in extremely challenging times.”

The Colorado state government will cover the costs for National Guard members to continue working on the recovery for the duration of the government shutdown. Ultimately, the Federal Emergency Management Agency should reimburse the state for 75 percent of these expenses; the remaining 25 percent of costs will come from the state and local governments.

“I applaud the governor on his quick and decisive action,” said Rep. Crisanta Duran, vice-chair of the Joint Budget Committee. “The JBC will work alongside the governor’s office to ensure that funding is made available so that disaster relief efforts can continue uninterrupted.”

Leave a Reply